//iam3739 TRAIL LIFE

2/23/09

Attn: To All Bookworms!

Hahaha! I'm no bookworm but then I'm quite a reader if the author got me attached with his writings. So what's this calling-the-attention of those who love to read? Well, I am happy to announce that Doulos will be back for Manila. The boat will dock at Pier 13, behind Manila Hotel from March 6-30, 2009 after that, she will journey towards Kaohsiong, Taiwan. Remember, Doulos will retire next year so this will probably be the last time you'll get to board the 'World's Oldest Ocean-Going Ship still sailing'.

Did you know that I've been waiting for this since January? Oh what pain! The fam has decided to drive to Batangas thinking she was there. Only to find out she was docked at Bacolod City. Now the wait is almost over. The last time I went to visit her was when I travelled to Batangas. I bought a lot of cheap books, 3 for 100 CD's, and 5 for 100 Cassette tapes (which I haven't opened yet ) But the best part of the Doulos is the experience, I bought so many books of different subjects and I wasn't able to finish reading them all. Haha...



Anyway...
FACTS YOU MIGHT WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THE SHIP I TRULY LOVE!

  1. She was built in 1914, only 2 years after Titanic.
  2. She is called the Doulos which is in Greek as 'Servant'
  3. She's been in service as a cruiser ship, cargo ship,and a floating book store.
  4. She was previously been known as the SS Medina, the SS Roma, and the MV Franca C.
  5. She currently holds the biggest floating library in the world. Normally there is somewhere around 3000 to 5000 books on the shelf and half a million in the hold.
  6. She will retire this coming 2010 and will be replaced by the much anticipated Logos Hope.
  7. She is owned by the German charity Gute Bücher für Alle (Good Books for All).
  8. She is carrying 330 volunteers from 50 countries.
  9. In the past 30 years, she has sailed to more than 100 countries, welcoming 21 million visitors onboard.

Plus, did you know that there were many miracles happened at the ship during her service? When you get the chance to visit the ship, try to look for the book entitled 'Doulos'.

Here's a short clip about the Doulos.


BOOKSHOP OPENING HOURS
Tue - Sat: 10 am - 10 pm
Sun - Mon: 2 pm - 10 pm
For more details: Please call 0908.621.53.62
Entrance fee: P10.00

TRAVEL AROUND THE WORLD WITH DOULOS (OPEN DAY)
Saturday, March 7, 2-5 pm
Sunday, March 15, 2-5 pm
Entrance fee: Free

INTERNATIONAL CAFE - Enjoy a relaxed evening of music, drama, and dance in a cafe setting. Meet the crew from this United Nations!
Sunday, March 8, 7-9 pm
Entrance fee: P50.00


Mga ka-cell: I got some discount tickets and a free boarding pass courtesy of wildSONS.

1 comment:

Jez said...

Aww.. Ngayon ko lang nalaman that the ship will be retiring na :(

I really hope I could get my feet on it before it leaves the country.

Thanks for promoting!