//iam3739 TRAIL LIFE

3/5/09

Old Articles: Fort Santiago Tour and Jose Rizal

Last March 31, 2008, Me and a friend went to Fort Santiago, the place where the Filipinos' national hero was imprisoned then executed on December 30, 1896. We visited the place and toured for quite some time. Even though the park was getting older and older each year, the essence of being in a Spanish-era theme is still holding true to those who wants to experience an atmosphere of the last century.

Fort Santiago is located in Intramuros, Manila. Intramuros means 'within the walls'. It was built by Spaniards in the 16th century and it holds the record of being the first city in the Philippines. I consider it a city within the city of Manila because the place was Manila itself in the Spanish-era. I love Intramuros while not being so delirious about it because of the things I can easily see that are bad. Many establishments inside Fort Santiago is nearing to an end in its 'originality' due to the fact that it lacks maintenance and the people are not so informed or enforced to follow rules and regulations.

From the things I see in Fort Santiago, I didn't spoil the day complaining. Instead I tried my best to be eager about it and with that I am easily attracted. I remembered those days when I finished reading a book of Sonia M. Zaide about the life of Rizal, I was amazed of his life. It was spectacular and life-inspiring while on the other hand, it left me curious to think about many possibilities concerning his continued voyage if the execution didn't happen.

Fort Santiago is filled with memories, every step and every building, I feel death all over. The first time I went there... this was my second time... My knees were shaking! But now, every angle of the wall is a history, realizing that every real Filipino ruler once stood here, escaped here, and fought here. I wrote Jose Rizals' words and I was like an enraged patriot. He was sincerely evocative and I believe quite inspired while writing this;

I have always loved my poor country and I'm sure I shall love her until my last moment, should men probe unjust to me. I shall die happy, satisfied with the thought that all I have suffered, my life, my loves, my joys, my everything, I have sacrificed for the love of her.

He was a linguist with at least 10 languages while I can only speak three namely; English, Tagalog and Bisaya. Spanish language is on the process of learning. Again, quite inspiring there because He was genuinely a hard worker, a businessman, a physician, adventurer, writer, linguist, etc. His words sparks intimacy to his country, fellowmen and most especially the youth which he believes to be the future of the country. To him, I learned that life is indeed great if you have a mission to change. I am doleful to see the country being derailed and because I believe, in all humility and honesty, the country needs another Rizal and that will be sourced in the youth.


No comments: