//iam3739 TRAIL LIFE

1/5/09

The Struggle of the Firebrand

The trouble within me is not with the law, for it is spiritual and good. The trouble is with me, for I am all too human, a slave to sin. I don't really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don't do it. Instead, I do what I hate. But if I know that what I am doing is wrong, this shows that I agree that the law is good. So I am not the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it.

And I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. I want to do what is right, but I can't. I want to do what is good, but I don't. I don't want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway.

What is with me? I know I can do good, I know I can overcome this struggle. I am a conquering firebrand! I stand on a rock and I will not be shaken. Presently, I am a slave to my sinful nature, but every night I cast it out. I ask the Holy Spirit to pray for me and change me. Oh God, without you, I am dead. The covenant I have set between us is dying. I want to do what is good, but I can't and I get guilty over and over again. I love God's law with all my heart but there is another power, it is my slavery to sin that is still within me. Oh God, what a miserable person I am! Jesus free me from this life that is dominated with sin and death.

No comments: