//iam3739 TRAIL LIFE

1/29/09

Some Pictures of the Blood Letting Activity and some tips!



So I finally came back and posting to this blog alive. I feel so good about myself being able to save a life by simply donating almost half a liter of my blood.


It says here that my blood time is Type A. And oh, I am indeed a pass for donation. :D


I drove to school around 11:45 a.m. and arrived at 12:15 p.m. There they got me screened, it was quite a nervous feeling since it was my first time donating my own blood but because I am happy, I raced the person who screened me that I prepared myself for this since last night. I told her that I slept for 8 hours, eat a well-balanced diet, and drink some water and orange juice before going to school. I never expected the population of students who wanted to donate. I don't know their intentions (since there were a lot of freebies) but the bottom line is, they did donate some 450cc of their red liquid. The whole process including the screening, tests and the actual blood letting took me an hour. So it wasn't much of a time-consuming activity.


Doctor taking the vital signs

As always, pain is expected when your skin is being pricked. The only remaining sensation I have right now is the itch on my finger after being pricked by a pricker. Such old-tech was used for that matter.




It's a little painful in the beginning. I though the needle was a bit big and it is! Any man can survive... Uhhm well, because the females did.


'Kuya' advised us to take deep breaths before inserting the needle.


The sensation on the site became a bit numb, but it's not uncomfortable. You can even read or text at the same time. :D


'Kuya' is now preparing the blood bags for storage while talking to a Red Cross Youth Member at School


I believe the blood letting activity was a success. Being part of this will surely save a life because statistics say that in every 3 seconds, somebody out there needs a blood transfusion. As a citizen and a Christian, I believe these are my first steps in helping the people. Who says you cannot help if you are without money? I overcame this by being courageous and believing that I can make a difference. So why not you? Basically, the requirements for donating blood here in the Philippines are as follows;
  1. Must be in good health
  2. Pulse of 60-100 beats per minute
  3. A well-balanced meal is recommended before 4 hours of donation.
  4. With a blood pressure between; Systolic: 90-160 mmHg, Diastolic: 60-100 mmHg
  5. Pass the physical and health assessments
  6. Hemoglobin level must not be at least 125 g/l
  7. Between 16-65 years old (16-17 y.o. are required to present a consent from their parents)
So why care to donate blood?
  1. Simple, it can save a life. You can be a hero. :)
  2. About 60 percent of the Philippine population can donate a blood. But only 5 percent do.
  3. A pint of blood, separated into components can help up to three people.
  4. You'll get a personal health check-up (Knowing your blood type, hemoglobin level, iron level, blood pressure and temperature).
  5. It's simple, safe, and it will save someone!
  6. Your bone marrow will be stimulated to produce new red blood cells making the blood-forming organs function more effectively.
  7. It is something that you will feel good about yourself.
  8. Fullfill's your desire to "give back" to the community.
  9. And most of all, get freebies like food, t-shirt and buttons (Well, at least on our school) hehehe...
If you intend to donate in the future, here are my tips.
  1. Don't smoke.
  2. Don't take alcohol 24 hours prior to blood donation. A better tip, don't take alcohol. :D
  3. Have something to eat before the blood donation. No fatty foods.
  4. Drink plenty of water and juice.
  5. Most of all, have a good sleep and rest.
I am finished, what should I do after donating my blood?
  1. Drink plenty of water and juice.
  2. Refrain from stooping up and down.
  3. Refrain from lifting heavy objects, driving big vehicles, and operating big machines. A little side effect would be dizziness.
So what are you waiting for? Donate blood now! Your blood is a precious gift.

Greeting from 3739!

No comments: